Saturday, August 18, 2012

Room for Kids

First room in the cabin I feel like could be complete for awhile - the Kids' room. Of course, the room that's the least used at this point - but I'll take it!



It originally came with two twin beds and trundles. Great in theory, but there wasn't even enough room to pull the trundles out, and no grown adult really wanted to crash on those beds, no matter how drunk they were.

So, first thing was to order a bunk bed. We decided on a double bed on the bottom so a grownup could comfortably sleep on it. And then we found this sweet bunk bed with stairs to climb up instead of a ladder. The stairs have drawers in them - even better. Although I don't want to imagine the candy wrappers and bugs (if I'm lucky) will be stashed in those some day. There is also a trundle bed - which will be great to pack the kids in. But the mattress is basically a sheet of plywood with foam and covered in fabric. So no full-grown anyone on the trundle. 



We installed ceiling fans in all of the bedrooms, including this one. To keep things bearable in the few really warm weeks of the summer. Of course, everything I've put in the room, I imagine being abused and utilized for something physical and dangerous some day - the stairs to jump from, the double bed catching jumpers from the top bunk. Is this because I have a son? I'm imagining what might be thrown from the top bunk into the spinning blades of the fan.

I found the perfect place for the auttoman I bought for the living room that left no room to walk around. It now makes up a cozy reading nook with the pillows from all the former twin beds. 

We hooked up the DVD/VCR to the TV, so now we can finally use all of the Disney VHS tapes that my mom saved. Now if we can just keep Oliver's fingers and toys out of the VCR slot...

We also kept one of the big pictures and a desk that were left with the cabin. And we put up a few cute Baby Oliver photos, as well as the now infamous Costco Moose. 

It's actually one of the most comfortable rooms in the cabin now. Bring on the kids! 

No comments: