Sunday, July 22, 2012

Moofins

My latest culinary success has been mini-muffins. With Organics to You deliveries and buying fresh fruit/vegetables for Oliver, it seems that everything gets ripe and ready at once!

So I made some banana bread muffins with a bunch of very ripe bananas - and Oliver LOVED them. Next I tried zucchini bread muffins. Success. And half zucchini, half carrot bread muffins. I can't miss! Helps having a baby that will eat anything, but I hardly doubt there are many babies that would pass on the carb-filled wonders. But I also make sure they're tasty and edible for grown-ups, too. I added a few chocolate chips in place of nuts (no nuts for babies!) to the zucchini/carrot muffins and it was the best batch of all!

The healthy options I've gone with - using whole wheat flour, replacing half of the oil or butter with applesauce, using a smaller amount of brown sugar and using a Silpat mini muffin tray so there is no need to grease up the pan. I leave out any nuts and honey from the recipes to make them safe for babies. And I've learned the more spices, the better! My friend made some with a little strudel topping, which sounds delish!

Happy Eating.

No comments: